Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Business

All category news

  • TransCanada asks Nebraska to reconsider Keystone order that approved alternative route

    November 27, 2017 8:37 PM 14

    A company spokesperson says TransCanada is not, however, asking for the approved route to be reconsidered and that the motion is a request to address questions raised in the decision. CALGARY—TransCanada Corp. has asked the Nebraska Public Service Commission to reconsider its order that approved an alternative route for the company’s proposed Keystone

  • WestJet launches new regional air service in Western Canada

    November 24, 2017 7:19 PM 20

    CALGARY -- WestJet Airlines Ltd. (TSX:WJA) has introduced a new regional air service in Western Canada operating under a capacity purchase agreement with B.C.-based Pacific Coastal Airlines Ltd. WestJet Link will connect the Alberta communities of Lethbridge, Lloydminster and Medicine Hat and the B.C. communities of Cranbrook and Prince George to WestJet's

  • New condo, townhome sales and prices soar in October

    November 24, 2017 4:14 PM 14

    High rises account for most new construction sales in October, but prices are also rising. The boom in condos and stacked townhomes pushed sales of new construction homes in the Toronto region up 18 per cent year over in year in October — accounting for 91 per cent of the overall 5,377 purchases. The remaining 9 per cent of sales were low-rise, single-family

  • Sobeys to cut 800 office jobs

    November 24, 2017 1:40 PM 20

    The job cuts are part of efforts to create one national organization out of five regional businesses. STELLARTON, N.S.—The Sobeys grocery business will be cutting about 800 office jobs across Canada. Its chief executive, Michael Medline, says the job cuts are part of efforts to create one national organization out of five regional businesses

  • TransCanada: Over 24K gallons of oil recovered from spill

    November 23, 2017 6:53 PM 20

    AMHERST, S.D. -- TransCanada Corp. says it has recovered more than 24,000 gallons of oil from the site of a pipeline leak discovered last week in South Dakota. The company said 24,450 gallons of oil had been recovered as of Wednesday. TransCanada's Keystone pipeline leaked an estimated 210,000 gallons of oil on agricultural land in Marshall County, South

  • Winnipeg Free Press rolls out marijuana news site The Leaf

    November 23, 2017 6:35 PM 17

    The site generated about 1,300 page views in its first 12 hours, despite not being widely promoted, the editor of the Winnipeg Free Press says. The editor of the Winnipeg Free Press says its specialized cannabis news website called The Leaf is generating quite a “buzz” since launching earlier this week. Paul Samyn says the newspaper thinks there is a growing

  • Aurora Cannabis to buy greenhouse design firm Larssen, terms not disclosed

    November 23, 2017 1:36 PM 22

    VANCOUVER -- Aurora Cannabis Inc. has signed a deal to acquire greenhouse design firm Larssen Ltd. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, but Aurora says it includes performance-based milestone payments. Aurora (TSX:ACB) chose Larssen to design, engineer and oversee construction of its Aurora Sky facility. Under the deal, Larssen will be integrated

  • Canadian CEOs call for Justin Trudeau to nail down TPP deal

    November 22, 2017 6:04 PM 18

    Canada holds out on TPP in hopes of changes as NAFTA talks stall on U.S. demands. OTTAWA—Canadian chief executives are calling on Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to nail down and implement an 11-nation Pacific Rim trade deal, as Canada holds out in hopes of changes. The Business Council of Canada, representing chief executives from many of the country’s

  • Survey suggests more Canadians plan to do holiday shopping online this year

    November 22, 2017 2:40 PM 27

    A new survey suggests more Canadians are planning to do some or all of their holiday shopping online this year. A survey commissioned by FedEx Canada and released today found that 65 per cent of Canadians polled planned to shop online this year, while 55 per cent said they did so last year. Six per cent of those polled said they planned to shop online

  • Bitcoins stolen over public wireless network, Austrian police say

    November 22, 2017 12:53 PM 20

    VIENNA -- Austrian police say cyber thieves transferred bitcoins worth more than 100,000 euros (US$117,000) from a man's account while he was logged in on a restaurant's public wireless network. A police statement Wednesday says the bitcoins were moved to an "unknown, non-traceable account" after the unidentified 36-year old logged in southeast of the city of Innsbruck