It was not raining that day in 2015, but the windshield wipers were scraping against the glass; a passerby later said it appeared that Wong Siew-fung and her 16-year-old daughter had fallen asleep inside the car.
But 45 minutes later, the same witness said, they had not moved. The mother and daughter were rushed to a hospital, where they were pronounced dead.
The account comes from court testimony reported by the South China Morning Post. Prosecutors told Hong Kong’s High Court on Wednesday that autopsies later revealed that the two died of carbon monoxide poisoning, though the gas did not appear to be leaking from the vehicle. It apparently came from a yoga ball in the trunk — which, prosecutors said, had been filled with the gas and placed there by Wong’s husband, according to the newspaper.
According to the South China Morning Post, prosecutor Andrew Bruce told the court that Khaw Kim-sun, a 53-year-old anesthesiologist, pumped carbon monoxide into the ball and put it into the vehicle in May 2015 as part of a plan to kill his wife but that “the last thing the accused wanted was for his 16-year-old to die.” Khaw apparently did not expect that his daughter would be in the car at the time. Still, the prosecutor said, “if that person knew what was in the car was carbon monoxide and knew it was a dangerous gas likely to kill you, you can confirm this person had homicide on his mind.”
Khaw, who is charged with two counts of murder, pleaded not guilty, according to BBC News.
Prosecutors said that Khaw, a professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong, had been cheating on his wife with a student and that his wife would not grant him a divorce, according to the South China Morning Post.
So, the prosecutors said, Khaw, with help from his student, devised a plan to kill his wife.