WASHINGTON—U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday he had asked Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to skip a planned trip to North Korea, abruptly cancelling the next round of negotiations on the country’s nuclear program in his first public acknowledgment that his diplomatic overture to the North Korean leader, Kim Jong Un, had run into trouble.
“I feel we are not making sufficient progress with respect to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” Trump said in a series of Twitter posts Friday. “In the meantime I would like to send my warmest regards and respect to Chairman Kim. I look forward to seeing him soon!”
Pompeo and his newly appointed special envoy were scheduled to travel to North Korea next week to continue denuclearization talks.
In his tweets Friday afternoon, Trump said the nuclear negotiations had been hampered by a lack of support from China, which he attributed to its increasingly rancorous trade dispute with the United States.
“Secretary Pompeo looks forward to going to North Korea in the near future, most likely after our Trading relationship with China is resolved,” he said.