Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Toronto schools put on lockdown, hold and secure after two separate shootings

September 12, 2018 7:47 PM
34 0

Several Toronto schools were put into lockdown or hold and secure Wednesday after two separate shootings in Etobicoke and Scarborough.

Paramedics said they found a male teen victim with a serious but non-life-threatening gunshot wound. Paramedics also took two teen girls to a local hospital with minor injuries.

Police spokesperson Gary Long said the girls were on site as witnesses and were taken to hospital for anxiety induced by the event.

Multiple Etobicoke-area schools, including Burnhamthorpe Collegiate Institute, Bloorlea Middle School and West Glen Junior School, were placed on hold and secure. At 3:14 p.m. police said they ended the hold and secure at all schools. Police said they are searching the area for two possible suspects that fled on foot.

Earlier in the day, a school in Scarborough was placed on lockdown after officials say a shooting left one man with a minor gunshot wound. TDSB said the lockdown has since been lifted.

Police received a call of a shooting at the Scarborough Centre for Alternative Studies, an alternative adult high school near the intersection of Midland Ave. and Danforth Rd. at 11:49 p.m. They said they received reports of one shot fired but located no shell casings.

They later found a male victim in the area. Paramedics said they picked up the man, who is described to be in his late teens, around 12 p.m. He was taken to hospital with a minor gunshot injury.

“It happened just before noon at Scarborough Centre for Alternative Studies, which is primarily an adult school with a number of other programs present, including a daycare,” said TDSB spokesperson Ryan Bird.

Initial reports suggested that the sound of a gunshot came from outside of the building.

Source: thestar.com

Share in social networks:

Comments - 0